Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Bear's Den

The other day my friend Susan and I headed over to the U.S.A. and stopped about an hour due south of here in Akwesasne Mohawk Territory at The Bear's Den Restaurant that has diner-style eating in the front and a more formal dining room in the back. They also have an extensive gift shop with a selection of native artwork.


I loved how their starters included Indian fried bread, Buffalo wings, quesadillas, nachos and there it was...poutine! I just had to give it a try.


I've never had a poutine with crinkle fries! It was actually a pretty yummy poutine. And for only $2.55 US. A bargain!


I paired it with a Mohawk Indian Corn Soup which was fantastic. Lots of white corn, red beans, squash, carrots, chicken, onions and cabbage in a lovely broth.


Susan, my friend (and aerobics teacher) ordered a simple salad...


...to go with her teeny, tiny poutine.


This poutine rated a 3.5 curds out of 5. It lost a full point for no curds but got points for crispy-ish fries and good, turkey gravy.

I also noticed that they offer something called a Kodiak Poutine: Grilled shaved steak, onion, green peppers topped off with cheese and fries. Hmmm. Maybe next time.

Bear's Den Restaurant, 425 State Road 37, Akwesasne Mohawk Territory via: Hogansburg, NY 13655
Phone: 518-358-2195
For detailed menu info and hours of operation, click here: bearsdentradingpost.com

3 comments:

Jack D'Mestiere said...

Rouge, I think you may be an easy grader. I will have to revisit my Vancouver Airport A&W rating of 0.5 curds as they actually had curds.

Ronna said...

Jack, didn't you know that I'm a pushover for something warm and soothing on a cold day?

Knatolee said...

Not sure about that poutine but the soup looks MARVELLOUS!

And Jack, I used to frequent the Vancouver Airport a lot. Don't revisit that rating!!!